Many people have goals (whether or not they call them goals), thing they want to achieve in their life for example relationships, work, family or business.
A huge proportion of those people will not achieve their goals for many reasons, maybe their situation changes, perhaps the goal is not right for them … or there are surmountable obstacles in the way that stop people in their tracks.
So why do people not achieve their goal if the obstacle can be overcome? Well sometimes the goal is not right for them and they know it – or the fear of achieving their goal itself can be scary.
- Losing a significant amount of weight and becoming more attractive to others can be scary for some people with low self esteem.
- Moving on after a relationship – starting to date again, worrying that the next relationship will end for similar reasons, e.g. cheating, violence, debts etc
- Working in a job that makes you unhappy – but worried to leave incase you don’t get another job – or fear of taking another job and it not working out.
- Business – setting up on your own and finding that you can’t get clients or sell your products
There are many situations where fear can hold us back but what can we do about it? Firstly acknowledge the fear then take action – books, coaching groups and 1:1 coaching are all great methods that can help you overcome your fears and help you move forward in life and in business.
My tips is:
- Acknowledge the Fear – what exactly are you scared of
- Rate it 1-10 (10 being really scary)
- How ‘real’ is the fear?
- Explore ways you can overcome the fear
- Take Action
- Celebrate you Success at overcoming your Fear.
There are some great books on overing coming fear and self doubt.
Susan Jeffers book ‘Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway’ is our Personal Development Book Club title this month (If you are interested – contact us or book your place on Eventbrite)
We also run regular workshops to help you deal with ‘Fear and Self Doubt’ – see Eventbrite for the upcoming sessions.
Eventbrite link to all our sessions: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/newcastle-performance-coaching-limited-6295082261
Our 1:1 coaching, workshops and talk sessions run from our office; West Fifteen, Wickham View, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 6UN